Whether you’re running a small retail business or a resort-sized hotel, having a comprehensive security plan is an essential part of keeping your clients and assets as safe as possible. Depending on your situation, you may find hiring a professional on-site security guard as the most effective and cost-efficient solution for your needs. Security guards aren’t just for jewellery stores and banks. There are many services a trained guard can provide that can benefit businesses of any size!
Benefits of a Security Guard
- Security presence and visibility. According to consumer resource Safewise, a visible security system is one of the most effective deterrents to criminals and potentially disruptive individuals. In a survey of 100 people convicted of burglaries, 60% said that they would skip a house that looked occupied or visibly secured with an alarm system; two-thirds reported that even just a visible security camera on a property would be enough to deter them. Because security guards are physically present at the location and actively monitoring it, they create a greater deterrent to a criminal. A uniformed guard’s presence can keep the wrong people away just by being visible.
- Monitoring and crime prevention. With a security guard on-site at your place of business, you have an added layer of protection that a set of cameras just can’t provide. A security guard is there to monitor the situation for you at all times, not just when you have a spare minute to check on things. A security guard is also extensively trained in threat recognition and crime prevention tactics to identify and respond to potential dangers before you’re even aware of a problem.
- Immediate response to emergency situations. In the event of an emergency like a robbery or other disturbance, the last thing you want is to be caught unprepared or without a response plan. Even if you have an electronic security system or other safeguards in place, you still run the risk of being unable to respond. Most of us haven’t been trained to know what to do. Having trained security providing constant surveillance on-site eliminates the need to worry about being caught off guard and assures that no matter what happens, someone will be there to respond to it quickly, professionally, and effectively.
- Your peace of mind. Whether you’re operating a retail business or managing a residential community, you already have enough responsibility to handle. Having to personally handle security measures can distract and drive focus away from what you and your employees’ main goals are. Not only does your team benefit from a trained professional taking care of security measures, but your customers and clients do as well; people simply just feel safer and take comfort in knowing that someone trusted and trained is there to protect them in any situation.
Do You Need a Security Guard?
With every business’s situation being unique, there’s no “one-size-fits-all” model for a security plan. While having some type of security professional on-site is always generally beneficial, there are some cases where a specifically trained guard is recommended. Evaluating your location’s specific security needs and challenges is the first step. Consider the following questions and check the scenarios that apply to your organization:
- Is your business in a densely populated zone or an area with a higher than average crime rate? Bigger cities tend to have higher crime rates, and Alberta and British Columbia are no exception. In the past three years alone, Edmonton has seen a 66% increase in crime overall. With the protection of a security guard at your business, your employees and clients will feel significantly safer and more comfortable knowing there’s someone trained to professionally handle any incident or situation that could possibly arise.
- Do you serve alcohol on the premises? Locations that contain full bars and stores that sell alcohol can greatly benefit from a security guard for a variety of reasons. A trained guard can provide a bar with valuable security services like asset protection and keeping the peace, as well as employ strategies like monitoring patrons’ alcohol consumption that help prevent incidents before they occur.
- Does your business need assistance with record-keeping and assessing liabilities for insurance purposes? Sometimes, having security staff is a requirement for insurance. A professional security guard isn’t there just to look intimidating and deal with trouble. Even if your location is a relatively low-volume business, a security guard can still protect you and your business by keeping daily workplace records to eliminate liabilities.
- Do you find issues like petty theft falling through the cracks of your current security measures? Professional security guards are extensively trained in loss prevention and asset protection strategies that make for a rock-solid security plan.
- Does your business sell high-end goods or deal with significant amounts of cash? Luxury stores and banks are frequent targets of attempted theft and burglary. Having security personnel on the scene to respond immediately prevents major losses for these businesses.
Locations and Businesses that May Need a Security Guard in Alberta or British Columbia
If you’re wondering if a security guard would be a useful asset for your business, it’s helpful to consider the type of business you’re running. Using a vast skill set and state-of-the-art techniques, a professional security guard can be a huge help to many different types of businesses, such as:
- Retail Stores.
- Residential Communities.
- College Campuses.
- Construction Sites.
Frequently Asked Questions About Security Guards
Can smaller businesses benefit from security guards?
No matter the size or scale of your business, having a trained security professional on your team is one of the most effective ways to ensure the safety and happiness of your clients and staff. A security guard provides more than just surveillance. They can also offer fully customised solutions to fit any security situation, such as mystery shopping services, plainclothes guards, and chaperone services.
Can security companies provide multilingual security officers?
Absolutely! While multilingual services vary from company to company, at CE Security we can proudly offer our services in a variety of languages including Spanish, French, Tagalog, Arabic, Farsi, and more!
How can I do a background check on a security company’s history?
When you’re entrusting someone with the safety of your clients and assets, you want to be able to rest assured that you’re employing only the most dedicated and experienced professionals. A great place to start is checking out the company’s website. Ask them for referrals to talk to other businesses. You should also always ask for certifications and training documentation. At CE Security, we’re happy to provide this information to all of our prospective clients.
When you’re considering hiring someone as important as a security guard for your business, you want it to be someone you know you can put your full trust in. At CE Security, our security professionals are not only technically trained to the highest degree and fully certified but also some of the friendliest and most personable security guards you’ll ever meet. If you’re looking for a perfect combination of quality security solutions and only the most reliable and hospitable customer service, reach out to our team at CE Security today for a free quote!